Monday, March 10, 2014

New cells, old cells

Week 9-Late Life

New cells, old cells

        The many biological theories of aging got me thinking of how our bodies age.  We start out as a bundle of joy with all new, healthy cells.  As we get older, those new cells become old cells, slough off or die out, and produce new ones to accommodate to many changing influences.
            The wear-and-tear theory suggests that as we age, we become less fluid in our movements, and much like a machine, we wear out.  This reminds me of a saying I've heard, "It's not the age; It's the mileage," (that makes us feel the way we do).  
            There is also the free radical cell theory--chemicals produced randomly during cell regeneration can cause malfunctions within a cell and impair its function.  I've always thought the term "free radicals" referred to environmental toxins and chemicals that are introduced into the body.  Perhaps, it does refer to that in a way, but it wasn't clear to me in the text.  
            Then, there is the idea of pre-programmed cell death; this theory suggests that our cells are genetically pre-engineered to self-destruct.  I am not entirely sure about this theory--I think it's reaching too far for the "un-explainable."  Overall, there is an agreement between all scientists, and is obvious to everyone: As we get older, our physical abilities, healing capabilities and mental focus deteriorates.  
            There are many factors that may influence how fast, or how "well", we age: sleep, nutrition, exercise, etc.  Sleep, in my opinion, points a big finger in the direction of the poorly aging.  It is said that our bodies heal the most, and cells regenerate, while we are sleeping (or while our bodies are at rest).  Older adults have more difficulty sleeping than young adults (Ancoli-Israel & Alessi, 2005).  Apparently, it takes older adults twice as long to fall asleep, they sleep less through the night, and feel more negative effects the next day.  Disrupting one's circadian rhythm (or sleep-wake cycle) can cause problems in focusing attention and memory.
            I would love to know further on the deeper effects sleep deprivation has on teenagers, and late adults, and how it compares to the average life expectancy.  I am also very interested in the probability that the more someone who believes as certain aspect of their health is poor, the more likely they are to manifest it; further discussing the power of the mind.

2 comments:

  1. Great analysis and explanation of the major biological theories of aging. I agree with you on the importance of sleep. My mom is 75, a retired shcool teacher, and she has a harder time falling asleep and stays up later than she used to when she worked every morning. I think I read somewhere that the changing levels of neurotransmitters in the brain may be responsible for the change in sleep patter. Partly too though I suspect that it is because she doesn't have the routine of getting up early for work each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom goes to sleep around the same time every night and wakes up the same time every day almost even on her days off work and she is 51 I wish I could do that. She has done that for as long as I can remember...I have never understood how she does it even if she goes to bed late she still wakes up early. It's crazy. On the other hand my 80 year old grandma is up and down all night long.

    ReplyDelete