Monday, January 13, 2014

Brofenbrenner, The Ecological Theory and Systems Approach

*Week 1, Chapter 1, The Study of Human Development

Brofenbrenner, The Ecological Theory and Systems Approach


    What a great chapter!  The study of human development is an endless discussion among many people and scientists.  One topic in particular that captivates me is, The Ecological and System Approach.  Over many centuries, there were developmental psychologists that would debate over what influenced a person's personality, growth and behavior over their lifetime.  One would argue that it was genetics, while another would say it all had to do with their social environment.  Eventually, the Biopsychosocial Framework was created that included four interactive forces of influence.  These included genetics and health related factors, internal cognitive capabilities, societal influences and adaptability to life events.
    
    Most developmental psychologists now agree that the environment plays an important role in our development as humans, though it was ecology theorists who focused on the details of the environment and their influences on human development.  Ecology theory states that the environment in which a person is raised is inseparable from our development as human beings.  Urie Bronfenbrenner, developmental psychologist, created a chart, called a "Chronosystem," that breaks down the environmental factors into four levels as shown below.



    Starting with the microsystem in the center, this involves those closest to you during your upbringing.  For example, your parents, siblings, and other family members.  Working our way outward of the circle, we next come to the mesosystem.  The mesosystem consists of others that you see often, but not in your immediate family; for example, your friends, and teachers.  Next is the exosystem which involves social settings that we may not experience firsthand, but play a role in our society such as governmental rules, our parents' places of employment and our parents' friends. Lastly, we are influenced by the macrosystem which includes our heritage, cultural influence and historical events.

    As humans, we are effected by all of these areas and they all shape who we are as individuals.  I strongly agree with this system because of what I have experienced growing up.  I believe my life experiences have shaped me into who I am.  Becoming a stepmother of three at the age of 21 made me mature a lot faster than others of my age group.  Moving out of my parents' house at the age of 18 made me a more independent person, but I also think the way my parents raised me also had to do with shaping me into an independent person.

    But, where do genetics (our DNA) come into play with our behavior and personalities?  A question I would have for the ecology theorists is, "Where would DNA fit into the chronosystem?"  Some psychologists believe that illnesses and learning disabilities, such as ADHD and OCD, are passed down genetically.  When a person has these diagnosis, it also plays a huge role in how they handle day-to-day life.  Why was this not included in the chart?  In my opinion, it would come first, labeled with the child in the center.







No comments:

Post a Comment