Tuesday, January 28, 2014

...and Brains

Week 3-Identity Development

...and Brains

    "So, I wonder, how plastic is the brain?" asks Dr. Geraldine Dawson of the UW Seattle.  That is a wonderful question!  Our brains, the machines that form our identity, are so mold-able, and always changing as we develop.  In fact, it has been found that our brains go through a sort of "reorganization" every 2 years or so.  Dr. Robert Thatcher, neuroscientist at University of South Florida College of Medicine, discovered by reading electroencephalographs (EEG's) of adolescents and adults, that these changes seem to happen via waves of nerve growth that sweep across the cerebral hemispheres, revamping some of the brain's synaptic connections.  The cerebral hemispheres are responsible for rational thinking, creativity, decision making, etc.

    It would only make sense, as a physical explanation, that this is what happens when we mature.  This further ties in with the notion that some the less desirable behaviors can be "un-learned".  I am recently going through changes that I believe may very well stem from a "reorganization".  What I thought I wanted as a young adult is not true for me, now that I have actually experienced those very things.  I have learned from these experiences, and am adapting to new ideas and changes (reorganizing).  It is amazing to me--the many discoveries scientists are making today about our innate nature that many of our ancestors never understood.  

2 comments:

  1. The brain is such an interesting organ...and right it should be! It is so amazing to me that everything in our body is run by this single squishy, slimy blob of nerves. The fact that we undergo these "reorganizations" as you put it is very cool, but what I find most interesting is what happens to the brain when it is under attack. Take dementia for example. If you compare CT scans of a normal brain and a brain with dementia, you can physically see where parts of the injured brain is missing. There are just big black spots all over which is why people with dementia loose their memories, their inhibitions and eventually complete control of their body and death. I have no clue what causes dementia, in fact, I'm not sure that science does yet either - but it is certainly something worth investigating further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested to know if they have done more research and showed what factors correlate with the periods of reorganization. There must be some kind of "trigger"? I think this would be a great topic for the paper. Why does the brain reorganize itself? Maybe to make room to learn new skills and knowledge... I sure don't remember much from Calculus that I took like 10 years ago but I could probably reconnect those neural pathways if needed. I'm so happy I don't have to though!

    ReplyDelete